54 days until change, which is seven weeks and five days. I’m behind in posting by 10 days. Whatever.
I want to pause in the story to note here (for my own future reference) what I/we did on April 29th.
We went to the Grand Canyon. Whoopee, you say. You’ve been there – what’s the big deal? Yes, I’ve been there. CWB has been there. We both hadn’t been there in a long time.
We purchased a national park pass some point in the past six months – and then we purchased a national parks stamp book. Each national park has a unique ink stamp that can be collected in this book. We figured this would be a good way to remember where we went.
The weekend of April 29th, we stopped by Sunset Crater National Park, where we originally purchased our national parks pass, and got the stamp. Then we went to Wupatki, and got the stamp. Then we drove north on 89 to Cameron and turned left. We stopped at the Navajo Nation’s Little Colorado Gorge Park, which I may have been to before but I didn’t remember it. It was awesome – for you couldn’t see much from the road, so I am sure many travelers just cruise past and miss it. You drive up, park, bypass the sales stalls (there weren’t many happening that morning because it was early, cold, and very windy), and walk to the edge and look down. Way down. Not many tourists, not much happening but you and wind and quiet.
We heard eagles (we think) calling to each other and saw them flying about. I would have said condors, but I don’t know what condors sound like and their heads weren’t bald. Too big to be hawks. So – eagles of some sort – golden perhaps? So cool.
There were two stops there – which we did. We took pictures of course.
Then on to the east entrance of the Grand Canyon. Most people come in the south entrance (north from Flagstaff or Williams), so we were driving against the flow. Our first stop was the Watch Tower, which I’d never been. We walked up to the top, where there are windows (there are windows on each level). The ravens were out flying and playing in the wind, and I got a picture of one that was hovering just at the same height as the window.
It was cloudy that day, so we got a lot of shots of the canyon colors under clouds.
We went to the Tusayan Ruin and Museum, which I don’t remember going to.
We witnessed a bride getting ready to be married at one of the overlooks. She looked like a fairy princess/hippie with flowers in her hair. Lovely, actually. Very nice. CWB said it was too public a venue for a wedding. But you couldn’t beat the view.
We made it about half-way to the south entrance and decided we’d had enough and so we went home. We will be returning though.
An excellent day.

What did I do this past weekend? I house sat for a coworker who has two small dogs – a Boston Terrier and a Chihuahua mix. CWB helped me on Friday through Sunday, which was nice because the Boston Terrier had to be in someone’s lap the entire time. Her motto, I imagine, was “Let no lap be un-sat-upon.” The house, although lovely, had the feeling of a hotel. All of the furnishings and decorations were well coordinated and very Homes and Gardens. So we developed a story. Two alien social anthropologists transform themselves into dogs and create human replicants to be their ‘owners’ so that they can examine human interactions with canine species. They have a home that is almost right, but a touch too perfect. The replicants act as normal humans, but are controlled by the dog/alien anthropologists. They go on vacation, as normal people would, and a house sitter and her boyfriend come in. They slowly come to realize that the dogs and the house are not quite right.
Stuff happens.
One possible ending: The aliens realize they like being dogs – getting treats and pets and being basically spoiled – so they ditch the human replicants and go with the real humans to be real dogs – and somehow thwart their alien race’s intent to take over the earth (or study them or whatever their raison d’etre was).

They were cute dogs but it was a weekend of CCI (canine coitus interruptus)